Identifying Points

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
Dylan121989

Identifying Points

Post by Dylan121989 »

Dear all,

I have a software issue in MLWin and would appreciate some advice - the answer me be a very simple one that I have overlooked.

Through the residual plot I can select points and absorb them into Dummies etc. no problem.
However, I can't seem to find an option where I can manually input the ID of a unit to either highlight it or absorb it into a dummy. I have a lot of cases, so finding points on the plot is impossible. Surely, the only option to selecting a point isn't just clicking on the graph?

If any help could be offered, it would be much appreciated.

Dylan
ChrisCharlton

Re: Identifying Points

Post by ChrisCharlton »

If you click on the "set styles" button on the "graph options" window you will see that you can set a column to contain the graph highlight settings. You can also change this with the GALL command. You can edit this column to determine which points are highlighted. The values are 1+the highlight style number. If you are highlighting at a level higher than one you also need to add 100*(level-1) to the value.

To absorb a value in a dummy you just need to generate a column containing zeros except for the rows corresponding to the required points, where you put ones. You can then add this to the model in the normal way.

Finally, to exclude points you need to generate a column containing zeros, except for the rows that you want to exclude where you put ones. You then need to pass this to the EXCL command, for example:

Code: Select all

EXCL 1 c1500
You may want to set up a simple model, then plot a graph based on it and watch what happens to the contents of the highlight and exclusion columns as you make changes with the interface.
Dylan121989

Re: Identifying Points

Post by Dylan121989 »

Thank you very much, Chris!