Multiple imputation for longitudinal data

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
jjgrace36

Multiple imputation for longitudinal data

Post by jjgrace36 »

Afternoon,

I am new to MLwiN and to multiple imputation of missing data.

I have a longitudinal data set with missing data present in some categorical/binary predictor variables.

I wish to use MI to increase the working sample size for the modelling procedure.

What is the best way to do this? I get errors when using the MI macro saying that there is an outcome length mismatch - I guess this is because individuals may be measured between 1 and 9 times.

I am thinking that REALCOM can cope with this scenario. I am also currently looking at MICE in R.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin Grace
jjgrace36

Re: Multiple imputation for longitudinal data

Post by jjgrace36 »

additional:

I get a data length mismatch error when imputing using MLwiN and similar using the macro. I presume this is because the data are unbalanced and these methods cannot handle this?
Harvey Goldstein

Re: Multiple imputation for longitudinal data

Post by Harvey Goldstein »

You can ceratinly use realcom for this. The data should be presented as a 2-level structure, i.e. sorted by measurement occasion within individual. Refer to manual for details. :roll: